1. Back to previous page
2. Forward to next page
3. Load pages from Bookmark/History
4. Bookmark this page
5. Enable/Disable URL links on this page ( disable the link when you want to lookup the word instead of jump to that URL )
6. Enable/Disable dictionary lookup
8. Use camera for QR code scanning or text recognition
9. Reload current page
10. Use smaller fonts
11. Use bigger fonts
12. Input the URL of the homepage or keyword for google search
13. Single click on word for dictionary lookup
14. Single click on dictionary entry to pronounce the word
1. Drag dictionary entry towards left to add/delete the word from deck of vocabulary cards
2. Search the word with built-in dictionary
3. Search the word from web resources
4. Result of (2).
5. Result of (3).
6. Search goo dictionary for the word
7. Search Weblio dictionary for the word
8. Search Wikipedia for the word
9. Google the word
10. Google “word + 意味”
11. Google “word + meaning”
12. Close the web search toolbar
1. Double click to speak the paragraph
2. Words already in vocabulary list are marked as yellow
3. Single click on word would pick the longest match for dictionary lookup. To select the exact word or kanji for lookup, hold and press and word until the word selection box comes up. Then adjust the box.
Use WEBU as dictionary
1. You can type any Japanese in the search bar and use it as a dictionary.
2. You can type English in the search bar and then search Web of the Japanese meaning. This help you to find the corresponding Japanese in English.
1. Kanji of flash card
2. Speak the kanji
3. Speak the hiragana
4. Speak the sentence of the card
5. Go to the web page where the word was learnt
6. Delete the card
7. Flip the card to see the details
8. Again – can’t remember the word. Study this word again shortly in this quiz. Reset the repetition interval.
9. Okay – remember the word. Study this word again in this quiz. Reset the repetition interval.
10. Easy – remember the word very well. Study this word in the future. Extend the repetition interval. Mark the word as remembered if the word is marked as Easy consecutively 4 times.
11. Input box to search related words in dictionary/vocabulary during the quiz
12. Pop up dictionary/vocabulary search
15. Hiragana of the word
16. Meaning of the word
17. Example sentence where the word was learnt
18. Search the word in the dictionary
QR Code Reading
1. Bring up the camera tool
2. Click QR to start QR code scanning
3. Load web page according to the QR code
Bar Code Reading
1. Bring up the camera tool
2. Click QR to start bar code scanning
3. Search YAHOO Japan for product with that bar code
Text Recognition (OCR)
1. Bring up the camera tool
2. Take a snapshot for text recognition
3. Click OK to proceed text recognition
4. Result of text recognition in form of a Local HTML file. You can tap on the image and get the pop up dictionary.
5. Selected word in the image area is shown here
6. Full passage recognised shown below the image
1. Press and Hold the camera button to bring up the advanced OCR menu
2. Select photos from your Album to do OCR
3. OCR from the current screen. ( This is useful when the web page contains non-jpg images or movies ). What it does is take a snapshot of the page and do an OCR.
4. You can OCR any images on a webpage. Just double click the image to imitate OCR.
5. Press OCR to proceed.
1. Result web page after OCR of the image. Selected word in the image area is shown here.
2. Resultant passage of the image is shown below the image.
3. You can also tap the image to get the dictionary. Of course, you can also do so for the passage below.
Batch OCR for Manga / Magazine
If you have a lot of the material in jpg, you can OCR all the files in a batch.
You need to move all the files to the Shared Directory of the App through iTunes. It’s better to organise each book / manga under one directory for easier reading. All the files are sorted alphabetically during reading.
1. OCR all images. This would search all jpg files in the shared directory without corresponding html file ( i.e. not processed ) and do text recognition on all of them and produce the corresponding html files.
2. Select just one image or directory for OCR. Then, it would open the first file.
3. Select one image or directory for Airdrop. This allows you to airdrop the resultant files to friends through Airdrop.
4. Touch the text on the resultant html page and it would pop up dictionary as if it is in text mode. Note that no OCR software is perfect and we are using one of the best OCR engine ( Google engine ) to do this. You can tap anywhere on the image to see which area is properly recognised.
5. Dictionary is shown for the touched text
6. Swipe from left edge to go to previous page. ( or use the previous button )
7. Swipe from right edge to go to the next page. ( or use the next button )
Recognise text in clipboard
You can use WEBU to recognise text in any App as long as they can copy the text to the clipboard.
This includes emails, LINE, Telegram, WhatsApp, Facebook…
1. Select all and then copy the text from your App ( e.g. Mail )
2. Open WEBU and tap the search bar. Select open clipboard.
3. WEBU would generate an html file and you can do lookup as usual.
1. Number of lookups left. 50 free lookup available when installed. After that, there is 1 free lookup per minute.
2. No of cards entitled. Max no of cards allowed for the vocabulary list. 100 free cards entitled when installed.
3. No of text recognition entitled. 10 free text recognitions entitled when installed.
4. Clear all web history and cache
5. Speak the word when you click it ( in addition to pop up the dictionary )
6. Enable private browsing. During this mode, no history would be retained and words added would be classified as “Private” category.
7. Start Word Quiz
8. Show the list of words learnt
9. Set the category for new words and for card quiz.
10. Export the vocabulary list as csv file.
11. Accumulated vocal statistics
12. Vocabulary statistic for today
13. Daily vocabulary statistics for last 7 days
14. Weekly vocabulary statistics for last 4 weeks
15. Monthly vocabulary statistics for last 12 months
16. Buy “Unlimited Dictionary Lookup”
17. Buy “Unlimited Flash cards”
18. Buy “100 Text Recognition”. Each text recognition would consume 1 token. Text recognition relies on third party online engine and requires a stable network connection. Only 100 tokens could be bought at one time. ( From WEBU 3.0, you can now purchase 500 or 1000 tokens. This facilitates batch OCR of magazine or manga )
19. Restore all purchased items (unlimited dictionary lookup/flash cards on a new phone)
- Backup vocabulary, history and bookmark
- Restore vocabulary, history and bookmark
- Email to us for issues or suggestions
- Rate this App in Appstore
- Share this App in Facebook
- Visit support website
- Clear all settings to default
- No of times this word is marked as “Easy” consecutively. The word is regarded as remembered when it is 4 or greater ( this is equivalent to remember the word easily 4 times consecutively in a month with the last repetition interval more than 2 weeks ). This number is reset when the word is marked as “Good” or “Again” in the card quiz.
- No of times this word is revised. This counter is never reset.
- Export new vocabulary only. ( default is to export all vocabulary )
- Start Export the vocabulary list in CSV file. The result file would be stored in a “export” folder in the document directory. Document directory is accessible in iTunes. ( in iTunes, select the iPhone -> Apps -> File Sharing -> WEBU )